Sunday, March 22, 2015

R.I.P Gregory Walcott

They don't make movies like they used to.
Except for Plan 9 From Outer Space. Thank you, Ed Wood, for helping us realize the power of having a lot of drive, but little money.
Gregory Walcott gave a powerful performance in a much aligned movie. It is almost as if he believed Ed Wood was making a mainstay of the genre.  
He was a more prolific actor than I thought he was. Looking over his impressive filmography I realize I have seen him in many different roles.
Losing the stars of yesterday should make us reflect. They were not only from a different time, but they showed us a stylized version of that time. My Grandmother, from Wales, pictured America being like Fred Astaire and Ginger Roger's movie. Movies no longer have that effect on us, nor do actors.
I watch classic movies more than I watch sci-fi or action because of what they represent.  If you have the chance, watch a movie from before 1965. It might not reflect today's culture, but it will help us connect to the last century.

No comments:

Post a Comment