Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Quarantine Diary March 24

Today the number of recovered in Maine is 7, the total active cases is 118. The governor shut down all non-essential businesses closed. Our version of Job Lot or Olly's is called Marden's and they have closed until further notice.

The US experienced it's deadliest day from the virus.

My son woke up at 4 am today so I'm kinda drained.

On my way to get the kid's lunches today, I was again struck by the lack of vehicles on the road. One car drove past me going about 70 mph which was concerning because the speed limit is 25. That car was the only one I saw on the walk there.

It snowed last night in central Maine and we got about a foot. It is going to be a high of 50 and right now its in the upper 30s. The snow is melting and its a brisk day. The van driver sees me coming and unlocks the back of the van when I am about 50 feet away. He left the van running with the door wide open. One of the things I love about living in Maine is even in these crazy times people are still incredibly trusting. I cannot imagine in RI anyone would have done that. I thank him for the kid's meals and start walking back home.  The only vehicle I see is a Fed Ex truck that is running with the driver nowhere to be seen. Now I know how those Amazon trucks of toilet paper got stolen.

As I get close to the house, I see we have boxes on the porch. My son gets pull ups through insurance because he is incontinent and they have arrived. It's comforting to know that even with everything going on we are still getting the things we need.

Once inside, I sort out the bags. The kids got pancakes and frozen strawberry syrup, chocolate milk, regular milk, two apples, two baggies of carrots, and two chicken salad sandwiches along with two small bags of pretzel-shaped goldfish. Some of the food came in quart-sized freezer bags which almost went in the trash when I realized I'm freezing an awful lot of food lately. I clean the bags inside and out with vinegar. They were also packed in paper bags which I also almost throw out before I realize I don't have paper towels and these might help in a pinch. I was raised by my Grandparents who lived through the Depression. I used to tease them for not throwing away bread bags and other things I thought were trash. In this moment I get it. I really leave the house anymore. When I do go to the store it is to get stuff like bananas and milk. I know where I am headed and I don't walk around and look like I used to. I never really know what I'm going to need or when I can go get it. It took about a week for me to change my mind about how I grew up. Don't get it wrong, I am not saving apple seeds or drying out used napkins. But maybe it might not hurt to save some of this stuff for the days ahead. If nothing else, my daughter will have extra paper for coloring.

My son's teacher posted a video of her reading a book online. I am so touched. She has her own kids and other family that she is homeschooling and she took the time to think about her class. I think my son will enjoy seeing her. When I play the video on my phone he grins, then grabs my phone only to toss it to the floor. My son loves school. He loves school so much that on weekends he tries to go outside to look for the van. Now suddenly, the van isn't coming, he isn't going to school, he isn't seeing his Ed Tech or his teacher. He isn't seeing the kids he has grown accustomed to. I hope he doesn't think he did something wrong or that his teacher doesn't want him anymore. I can't get him to do any work, but it could be because he woke up at 4 am. He's restless until around 2 pm when he agrees to nap. His teacher emails me to see how everything is going. I told her things are rocky and I'm not sure how to run my son's programs. She will call me tomorrow to tell me what to do.

My daughter's Ed Techs are also posting videos online. She would not look at them. What she did want was to color. I bought Water Wow pads and she spent the whole afternoon coloring and telling me what she saw when the picture was revealed.

I was particularly proud of supper tonight. Usually, it's a struggle to get both kids to eat. I heated up the rotisserie chicken and served it with baked sweet potatoes. I steamed the broccoli they got in their lunches yesterday. Both kids wanted seconds. Maybe when I go for groceries next I can get another rotisserie chicken.

Tomorrow will be a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment