Friday, May 22, 2015

My son's EI annual review and OT 05/06/2015

Hard to believe my son turned two on 4/19/15.  It honestly feels like yesterday I held my sweet boy in my arms for the first time.  I love my son more than I love anyone else and I am so glad he came into my life

Even harder to believe, it is time for our last annual review with EI.

This visit we had A. the EI coordinator, C. the COTA, and D. a student.

The annual review is a long, long visit. Lots of questions are asked. Lots and lots and lots.  Also a lot of paperwork. Basically you have to revisit the objectives made at the last review, decide if they worked, decide if you need new goals.  The last review, my son was not walking, using a sippy cup, or eating on his own. Thankfully, all of that has changed. Our new goals are to have him talking, at least one word where he can identify an object/idea and use it appropriately. I made the goal, maybe I am aiming too low, but I want him to succeed because that is my primary goal, not to fail.

While I was talking to A. about goals, my son was playing with C. and D.  They did functional play, but honestly I missed about 98% because there were a ton of questions regarding my son's development. Not surprising, he got 5 out of 35 for communication. At least I was not surprised by the results but to see your child get scored can be very discouraging.

I did get educated about RIPIN (http://www.ripin.org/) and will get to meet with M. a parental consultant.

One thing I did get to discuss with C. was the fact that I bought the electric toothbrush she wanted me to buy. I have anxiety and I always worry I am going to mess things up, even simple things.  I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest generic toothbrush I could find, because I was told the brand doesn't matter. As a toothbrush, I think this is an excellent toothbrush. As a mouth stimulant so my son can get sensory input, not so much. It is loud. Like really loud. I think the sound scares him. The first time I used it, I ran it over my cheeks and hands, then my husband's, then my son's. He flipped out. We use it sometimes on his cheeks and hands, but he doesn't like it for long. C. suggested to use it on his stuffed animals to show nothing bad will happen. I tried it with his stuffed Woodstock.......he was a little more receptive to using it on his cheeks, but not lips yet.

Suggestions for things to work on, using the toothbrush as a redirect from mouthing toys and fingers, and offering support in play.